About

I bought this car in 1976. After driving it for 2 years with varying degrees of success, I decided to restore it in the fall 1978. I had just left my last job and had 2 weeks before the start of my next job. Surely, that would be plenty of time!

In 2 weeks I managed to turn a running car into a driveway ornament. For the next 30 years it would follow me from home to home on flatbeds and trailers. Every decade or so I would get going again but it never lasted long.

To date I have:

  • A completed IRS
  • A completed gearbox
  • Recovered seats
  • Refurbished heater box
  • A partially refurbished induction system

So what’s with the header image?  On the right is a picture I took of the car just before ‘restoration’ in 1978.  On the left is the fully restored IRS.  And here is a link to car very similar to mine (S/N within 500 cars)

http://www.xkedata.com/cars/detail/?car=1E30649&slides=all

Responses

  1. EJAG,
    I found your worldPress blog tonight and wanted to let you know that I am keenly interested in your progress and past learnings. I just began the restoration of a 1969 Coupe which was partically dissassembled by the previous owner. I have purchased a rotisserie to comeplete the body work. The interior was already gutted when I bought her, but the engine, trans and IRS all remain in place. I will begin the process of fully disassembling her and inspecting all of the hidden bits. Keep the entries comming so I can learn and follow along.

    I posted some of the photos of my baby on jag-lovers E-Type forum under my user name jcarey. Good luck.

    • JCarey,
      I’m finding the interior stripping to be far more involved than I thought it would be. I’ve taken hundreds of pictures so far. There is a definite sequence to the installation. For example, I’ve discovered the cove strip that runs around the hatch opening will be one of the first pieces to go back in. When I started the tear down, I thought it would be one of the last pieces. So it is not at all obvious, at least not to me. Glad you’re getting some value from the posts. If you need more detail on anything, let me know.
      Rick

  2. Great Blog. I have a 68 2+2 that is completely stripped down and ready to begin extensive bodywork, like yours. You are motivating me to tackle most of the bodywork before it goes to the painter. Did you use just a mig welder, or did you use a tig welder also? Some of these welds look like they are coming from a tig welder. Thanks

    • It was all done with a Lincoln 145 MIG and a LOT of grinding. Full penetration is key if you need to grind flush. It’s very easy to lay a blob of weld on a joint and then unknowingly grind most of it away, leading to cracks later. However, it does burn off your rust proofing on the back side which is something you have to live with if its blind. Establish your settings on some samples you keep handy for different situations i.e. edge to edge, lap, plug etc.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: